A lifetime inspired and dedicated to music
Damiana Natali is an inspiring, talented and powerful persona on the Italian music scene. She is passionate about her innovative approach to music, the orchestra and the audience. Damiana was born in a small village in the Piemonte Region of Italy and began studying piano at the age of five. Surrounded by the majesty of the Alps, the silence of the lush forests and the composition of the many streams and lakes, Damiana was influenced by the beauty and sustenance of nature and knew that music had the power to change her life. Damiana’s life is dedicated to and defined by her love for music and musical expression, composition and conduction. She continually devotes herself to the study and interpretation of music to bring fulfillment to herself and pleasure to the audience.
Studies and improvements
Diplomas and Advanced Courses:
- Diploma di Maturità Classica
- Diploma di Pianoforte Principale at the Conservatorio G.Verdi di Torino, Italy
- Diploma of Traditional Composition at the Istituto Musicale Donizetti di Bergamo, Italy
- Orchestra Conduction at the Accademia Superiore di Musica di Pescara, Italy, with Donato Renzetti
- Choir Conduction at the Conservatorio G. Verdi di Milano, Italy
Seminars and advanced Master Classes at the Accademia Chigiana di Siena, Italy, with Maurizio Pollini
- Advanced course in composition for Musica per l’Immagine at the Scuola Superiore di Musica di Fiesole, Italy, with Carlo Savina
- Advanced course of Contemporary Composition with Gerald Grisey at the Conservatoire de Paris, France
She has obtained numerous awards and recognitions:
- Scholarship of the Bulgarian Ministry of Foreign Affairs for the Study and Interpretation of the works of Alexander Scriabin, 1977
- Composition Prize of the International Federation of Business and Professional Women, Teatro Sociale di Lecce, Italy, 2000
- Prize for musical activity Luciana Moroni, Bergamo, Italy, 2007
- International Prize Venere d’Argento for music, Erice, Sicily, Italy, 2010
- International Prize Barozzi for Arts and Culture, Novara, Italy, 2012
Damiana has always loved the nature and essence of beautiful theaters. She has been a diligent student of the theater and all of the “behind the scene” responsibilities that go into creating an impressive and successful production. She has worked with directors, stage technicians, light engineers and stage managers to understand the full impact each of these areas has on the venue as a whole. Of course her greatest love and talent is collaborating with the musicians of the orchestra.
Conductor assistant positions
She had the opportunity, during numerous symphonic productions, to work as an assistant to famous conductors, among which:
- Orchestra Radio-Televisione-Italiana (RAI) of Torino with Wolfgang Sawallisch, Lorin Maazel, Eliahu Inbal, Myung-Whun Chung, Gerd Albrecht, Georges Prêtre, Rafael Frühbeck de Burgos
- Lingotto Musica of Torino with Claudio Abbado and the Berliner Philarmoniker
- Teatro alla Scala of Milano with Riccardo Muti
- Orchestra Sinfonica Verdi of Milano with Riccardo Chailly
- Teatro Donizetti of Bergamo with Donato Renzetti and Roberto Rizzi Brignoli
- Orchestra dell’Accademia di Santa Cecilia of Roma at the Auditorium Parco della Musica with Antonio Pappano.
As a conductor, Damiana steers the orchestra in its artistic and creative performance. Her programming seeks to bring the audience with her on a powerful and emotional journey. For many years she has intensely and actively conducted the following Italian and foreign Orchestras:
- Orchestra Stabile di Bergamo, OFI Orchestra Filarmonica Italiana, Orchestra d’Archi di Mario Brunello, Orchestra Sinfonica del Teatro Coccia di Novara, Orchestra Filarmonica di Milano, Orchestra Cantelli di Milano, Orchestra Incanto Armonico, Orchestra Sinfonica della Provincia di Lecco, Orchestra Sinfonica Giovanile del Piemonte, Orchestra Classica di Alessandria, Orchestra Filarmonica di Genova, Orchestra Sinfonica del Mediterraneo, Orchestra Sinfonica Siciliana, Orchestra Sinfonica Abruzzese, Orchestra Barocca Monteverdi, Orchestra del Conservatorio Santa Cecilia di Roma, GDM of Frankfurt, Germany, the Balkan Festival Orchestra, Orchestra of J. Bacau of Romania.
Ars Armonica Orchestra
In 2008 Damiana Natali created and founded the “Ars Armonica Orchestra” assembled by well regarded professionals bound by passion, friendship and the desire to reach out to young audiences in an effort to develop and enhance their love and understanding of music. After only a few years, many concerts and great acclaim, they were able to evolve from Chamber Orchestra to a full Symphonic Orchestra. In 2013, the Orchestra celebrated its fifth year and has become a Social Promotion Association recognized by the Italian Government. This association works in collaboration with choirs and orchestras of European and International fame.
Symphonic Concerts and Operas
In recent years, several concerts were given within a varied repertoire. It’s always a great emotion to be able to conduct on the stage of a traditional and internationally famous theater.
Damiana has actively collaborated with dancers of the Accademia del Teatro alla Scala di Milano and with the Balletto EnjoyDance, thereby working on the interaction between music and dance.
A project, a winning idea, an important production, a great encounter with the public and the beginning of a tradition. This is how Ouverture has been created as Gala for the New Year, often serving a good cause or dedicated to a charity.
Symphonic Concerts and Choirs
The immense sonority of the choir, soloists and orchestra, and the music written by composers for this musical genre is an important opportunity to continue to study and interpret their masterpieces.
Her expertise in conducting choirs, which she developped at the beginning of her musical studies, coupled with her love of voice in all of its expressions and the innocence and gentleness of children’s voices, has created in her a particular sensitivity for this human heritage which she holds constant in her heart.
Chamber Music Concerts
Collaborating and creating with her fellow musicians while also performing in a Chamber Music environment has enabled her to refine her musicality and to reach an ever more delicate and precise timbre.
The desire to bring music beyond theaters, in suggestive locations which have particularly outstanding acoustics, has brought Damiana to create Festivals which, year after year, have presented a number of varied interesting programs. For this reason she has created two International Festivals in northern Italy.
The piano has for Damiana been her first musical passion and remains today her reference instrument for the study and interpretation of orchestral scores. She performed as soloist, in duet and in Chamber Music concerts. She has dedicated herself to the study of 20th Century Romance Music and has performed for many renowned musical associations such as the Amici della Musica del Conservatorio di Torino, Unione Musicale, Piemonte in Musica, Accademia delle Voce di Torino, Settembre Musica Giovani, Rassegna Musicale il Novecento of Novara and of Milan, Teatro Politeama di Lecce, to name just a few. She has been teaching for over two decades in highly qualified music schools and since many years she is a professor at the Conservatorio Statale A. Vivaldi of Alessandria.
Composition is a continuous and fundamental creation for a musician. Damiana has written many compositions for the piano, for instrumental, symphonic, chamber and vocal music. She has also composed for radio and television commercials. She has completed musical arrangements in collaboration with the Radio Televisione Italiana (RAI) and Mediaset. Several of her compositions for the piano have been registered on compact disk. Diaphonia Antologia di Composizioni del Novecento is a compilation of her compositions.
2001 Soffio di Luce has been transmitted in worldvision. The composition was dedicated to Pope John-Paul II and was presented as a première in the Vatican City, as well as in Novara, Monza, Milan, Turin, Assisi, Leopoli, and abroad in Lyon, Bucharest, and Sophia.
2004 Il Re Mendicante is an opera which was composed for choirs, soloists, orchestra, children’s voices, and actors. The première was performed under Damiana’s conduction at the Teatro Donizetti in Bergamo, Italy. It is available as a DVD by the Eurarte Italia Edition.
2008 Principessa della Luna is an opera she composed for a competition for the composition of a European Lyric Opera, organized by the Associazione Lirica di Milano in collaboration with the Opéra Royal de Wallonie de Liège (Belgium) and the Teatro Real de Madrid (Spain).